Monday, February 12, 2007

Intro to "Ear in the Envelope"

Today I begin the blogging journey.

I've titled my blog "Ear in the Envelope."

If you're familiar with a little art history you will remember that Vincent Van Gogh - in a moment of frustration and insanity cut off his ear lobe and placed it in an envelope. Some claim Van Gogh later visited a brothel to present the severed lobe to a prostitute named Rachel. I hope to capture the same passion. In the middle of this chaotic world, how should we live and respond.

Van Gogh is one of my favorite characters. His life was intense! But through that intensity there are interesting situations that make me think!

Here's a list of some of my favorite bits of information about Vincent:

1. His father was a pastor.
Hmmm, I wonder what impact that relationship had on his faith?

2. He was unsure of his purpose in life and searched passionately for an answer.

3. He wanted to be a pastor and began to prepare for that life, but the Greek and Hebrew were more that he could handle.
What kinds of things get in our way and prevent us from doing what we want or feel like we should do?

4. He became a missionary to miners in South Belgium. He was determined to live in the imitation of Christ but his extreme behavior and the fact that he gave his money and clothing away alarmed the missions organization and they soon asked him to leave.
He was compassionate to the poor, he wanted to imitate Christ.....

5. He was never self-sufficient. His brother Theo supported him financially most of his adult life.
Did this bother him? Could I live this way being totally dependent. Should I live this way when it comes to my "Heavenly Father?"

6. His life was a clear spiritual battle.
His life was extreme. It's pretty accepted that he had some type of mental illness. But is the spiritual battle as clearly played out in my life? Do I live as if the idea of spiritual battle is a conversation only for a Bible class? Am I sensative enough to know when God is working in my life? Do I know when satan is pulling me in the wrong direction?

7. He was who he was. He was not trying to follow the fashions of others.

"Ear in the Envelope" is a place to answer questions like these.
It is a place to share truth,
truth about ourselves,
about life,
and about OUR FATHER.

It is a place to ask questions without fear.
It is a place to open our hearts in honesty.

This is a place to learn to "LIVE" in Christ.

Liz

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great first post!! I am glad you have joined the blogging world. I am also glad that I am on the journey with you!!

Blog on.

Tim

Liz Barnes said...

It's amazing the thoughts one can think when they finally take the time to do it.

Matthew said...

Love it! Keep it up!

Mateo

Lori said...

Liz,

I am looking forward to reading more from you. I didn't know half that stuff about Vin. In spite of all of the challenges he faced he still lived such an inspiring life. . .

Besos!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it! Van Gough reminds me of some other people I currently find or used to find fascinating. For example, the whole thing about wanting to go into the church but not being able to finish seminary is like Samuel Taylor Coleridge, the guy who wrote "The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" from which the famous line "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink" comes. He also reminds me of St. Francis, who gave away everything he had and had to live off other people the rest of his life.
Excellent start! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Liz,
You make my heart smile, Thank you so much for sharing you with me! My eyes will miss seeing you but my heart will always be full! God bless you and yours on this new journey.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Liz!
lovin the site. it is so you. and i was surely feelin a lot of the commentary in there. i like real. hey i guess i will just share a cool thing that i happened to hear on the radio today..i dont know what city it was/is in but some homeless people who wanted to go to church were interviewed and said they felt judged when they go, especially when they havent showered recently, so some people started this outdoor church in which they have been now freely attending. thought that was cool.
alright well i hope to be back. thanks for the invite to your site! ...blessings!

nikie said...

hey mom,
luv ur blog nd i luv u. {sometimes}

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such stories. I love to read stories like that. Just add more pics :)

Anonymous said...

i truthfully enjoy all your writing choice, very useful,
don't quit as well as keep writing for the reason that it simply that is worth to read it,
impatient to view way more of your content, have a great day :)